Wednesday 23 September 2009

LEIGH'S ANGLESEY ANGUISH

What a beautiful track Anglesey is! Perched right on top of the coastline, the track overlooks the sea and has direct access to the beach. Having never been before, it was a nice surprise to see such a picturesque circuit.

That was probably the only highlight of the weekend!! Don’t get me wrong, the track itself is excellent being reminiscent of Laguna Seca with it’s own corkscrew. Again it was me that was the problem.

Friday practice went ok, learning the track and gradually getting quicker but Saturday came and things started to go downhill. For some reason I was sweating profusely……… standing still! Then I could not breathe through my nose. Oh no, it’s manflu.
Anyway I went out for qualifying and had to pull in after 10mins because I couldn’t see where I was going. Between the heat and sweat I was generating even a pinlock visor and fog city mouthguard wouldn’t prevent my visor completely steaming up. I was having to lift the visor at different intervals around the track to see where I was going! Long story short, I qualified 12th. Doesn’t sound too bad until you realize my team mate Chris had qualified 7th, Tim jones 6th and Clive White was on the front row in 4th. All my main championship contenders were going at least 2 seconds a lap faster. Great!
Things didn’t get any better all weekend. Every time I took my gloves off, water poured out of them. You’d think I had jumped in the bloody sea! On Sunday, I didn’t even go out for morning practice and stayed in bed until 30mins before the first race……………………….at 2pm. Spent 15 mins on the bike in the race , got off and went for another lie down before the next race.

Well although I felt like crap, over the weekend I managed 4th and 3 X 5th place. Should have been 2 X 4th but after nearly highsiding on shagged tyres in the last race another bike got past me, buggar!! Clive”the whinger” White and Chris had successful weekends though. Clive managed 2 wins and 2 seconds and Chris got a 2nd and 3 thirds, knocking me down to third in the championship. It all hangs in the balance at Rockingham, I need to secure podium positions in each race to secure 2nd in the championship. Does anyone know a diet where you can lose 3 stone in 3 weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment