Tuesday 12 May 2009

Into The Valleys Of Wales Rode The 650


Well, ok, Pembrey actually, and "death" sounded a bit grim. It's not easy being this amusing!
Anyway, first time at Pembrey and a bloody long drive it is too. Took about 6 hours to get there without a pit stop ( yes, I said pit! ) but the weather was ok and I was actually looking forward to it, having never been before.
Practice day came and I was out on track for the first time. Ian "Popularwell" Popplewell, a man with GENERATIONS of experience had obviously raced there before, so Clive White ( Rapier Paintwork ) and myself thought it a good idea to follow him around........ right across the motocross track!! Completely missing a fast left hand turn and managing to get another 3/4 riders to follow us! This caused Alex much entertainment for a number of hours. Still, I eventually managed to learn the track in time for race day.
Saturday's first race was a good one, after getting boxed in at the hairpin off the start, I managed to catch up to 3rd and 4th place. Now was my chance, my intentions was to outbrake them back at the hairpin and dive underneath. All was going to plan until I hit a false neutral coming out of the hairpin and lost all the ground I had made up. Bummer!! Still managed to grab 4th though.
The second race wasn't my best performance and I really struggled to get by slower riders only managing 5th. This poor performance was confirmed by Alex's hand gestures from the pitwall, suggesting something like "Tanker!".
Sunday came and I was ready for a better result. First 3 laps and I was riding the best I had all weekend! Then on the 4th lap, I lost the front end cranked over in a fast left hander ( no sniggers at the wording please, it's race jargon not rude ). I left the bike and seemed to barrel roll on my own for an eternity. After eventually stopping, it took me a couple of seconds to get to my feet with pain flooding in from various parts of the body.
After seeing the doctor on track, I limped back to the paddock where Alex said he could repair the bike for the next race if I was up to it. Luckily, Gary Smith ( one of the Smith Sisters )had come to watch and was on hand to give Alex some much needed help in repairing the bike without a moment's hesitation. Cheers Gary, you're a star!
I could feel my left ankle getting bigger by the second in my boot and my right thumb wasn't going to come out of my glove in a hurry, so I left my leathers on and went out for another go.
I managed to limp home in 6th but it wasn't one of my better ideas, I was in bloody agony! Dripping in sweat and a little light headed either from the pain or the painkillers I had managed to hold onto the championship lead.
Once again, thanks to Gary for the help, it was much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment