Sunday 8 March 2009

Leigh's Brands Hatch Hell

After missing the test day on Friday, I knew I would have my work cut out in qualifying on Saturday morning. Had to scrub in some new tyres, so that cost me two laps, then the session was red flagged due to a rider off at clearways! This meant I had only completed 7 laps with a best time of 55.2seconds which put me 21st on the grid. Not deterred, I was confident of getting into the top ten by the end of the weekend. This was not to be, our bad luck hadn't diminished in any way. The sidecars had left a trail of oil all the way around paddock hill bend. I hate cement dust and oil and was just glad to bring the bike home in 26th, still thinking that top ten was achievable once the oil had gone.
This was not to be because I ended up in bloody Dartford A&E even before the second race had started. The start of the sighting lap was sheer carnage!! An absolute mess which could have been avoided in my opinion. The officials point at each row in turn and flag them off to start their sighting lap, however, a rider on row 2 or 3 had stalled his bike on the grid. Usually all bikes would be halted on the grid until the stalled bike has been restarted or cleared from the track. On this occasion though, all bikes were continually flagged on, directly towards the stationary bike. 2 riders and myself hit the stationary bike at approx 70mph!! The impact launched me through the air whilst my bike continued on up the track. I was lucky, after examination, the medics decided I hadn't broken anything but had torn some ligaments in my knee, bruised my hand and sternum and cut my foot, were a footpeg had pierced my motorcycle boots. The rider who was stationary was not so lucky and had to be airlifted to hospital unconscious.(hope you're ok and back riding soon). The race had then been red flagged obviously to stop the race but the riders at the front hadn't seen the flag and ended up in 3/4 man crash at Graham Hill bend. One rider eventually saw the red flag and anchored on making 2/3 riders behind him pile into his rear wheel!!
Woke up Sunday morning feeling terrible and aching all over, so decided not to ride. I couldn't anyway because the bike wouldn't start after frantically trying to repair it the night before. Thanks to everyone who had a hand in that, shame I had to let you down.
On a brighter note Chris Boland, my team mate, managed 12th Saturday, then 9th place Sunday first race. He would have had 6th place but he thought it would be a good idea to try and high side the bike coming out of druids! Still a good result and one to be proud of, however make the most of the glory Chris, you won't be stealing any more from me! Thanks to Jacqui (Chris'wife) as well, for the ever fantastic lasagne again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment